Even if you haven’t heard the term ‘biohacking’ before, you’ve probably encountered some version of it in your day to day life. But what is biohacking, and can it really help to manage cancer?
What Is Natural Biohacking?
Biohacking can be described as the process of making changes to your lifestyle in order to ‘hack’ your body’s biology, helping you to feel at your best. Making positive changes to your diet and lifestyle can “optimize your body’s biological processes, promoting a state of health and wellbeing,” says nutritionist Kim Pearson. It’s also known as do-it-yourself biology, improving your health and wellbeing using tools outside of the traditional medicine system.
Put simply, imagine yourself before coffee. You’re tired and sluggish. Post coffee, you’re wide awake and ready to go. The only difference? The coffee in your stomach. This shows that what you put into your body, and how you manage your body, has a huge impact on how you feel. Biohacking is measuring and taking advantage of this to be the best you can be.
This all sounds great, but how can we biohack ourselves?
Some of the most straightforward biohacks are increasing nutrition (perhaps by eating more fruit and vegetables), optimizing hydration (drinking more water!), getting good quality sleep and meditating. You could also spend more time in nature and exercise more (known in the biohacking world as ‘rewilding’). All of these are great ways to naturally biohack your body and ensure that you’re feeling your best. Changing your lifestyle to include some or all of these will help to improve your general health.
Who doesn’t want to feel like their best self? Using natural biohacks will increase your mental focus, give you drive and energy and help your body to work efficiently, making it easier to fight illness. What’s not to like? In fact, the biohacking trend is now so huge that the types of therapies you can access are getting more innovative and exciting.
Biohacking For Cancer Symptoms
Can biohacking really help cancer symptoms? Well, the answer is yes. It’s already well known that improving your general nutrition can help to fight cancer, but what about some more specific biohacks?
One of the biggest biohacks out there is intermittent fasting. This is the process of only eating during certain hours of the day – for example, you might eat between 1 pm and 9 pm, and fast for the other 16 hours. Intermittent fasting has been shown in studies to increase survival rates for those with tumors.
Reducing Sugar Intake…
Another way to biohack your diet is to reduce your sugar intake. Links between sugar and cancer are well reported, and general advice is to limit your sugar intake during cancer treatment. This is because cancer cells multiply extremely quickly and that needs a lot of energy. Eating too much sugar can cause a spike in your blood sugar levels, leading to a higher release of insulin-like growth factor (IGF) which has been shown to help cancer cells grow. Most biohackers recommend a diet that limits simple sugar intake (e.g. cakes, sweets, white bread, sugary drinks) to help reduce your cancer risk and relieve your symptoms.
Hydrogen Inhalation Therapy…
One of the most exciting biohacks for managing cancer symptoms is hydrogen inhalation therapy. You might never have heard of this, so let’s look into it in a little more detail.
What Is Hydrogen Inhalation Therapy?
Molecular hydrogen (H2) is a gas that is found in trace amounts in the air. It acts as an antioxidant, and can protect cells from oxidative stress-related damage. As an antioxidant, it helps to clear the body of a specific type of free radical called hydroxyl radicals, which can cause cell damage. Damaged cells are more susceptible to injury and illness, and find it harder to fight conditions such as cancer. A safe and therapeutic level of H2 can be delivered through a special inhaler to provide many beneficial effects.How Can The Therapy Help To Manage Cancer?
Multiple studies have shown really exciting results for cancer patients. Its potential as a therapy has only been studied since around 2007, and since then the evidence has grown and grown.
- Hydrogen works to limit ROS, which is a series of unstable molecules that attack proteins. ROS may be overproduced through outer chemical attack (such as chemotherapy) and this can cause serious toxic effects. Hydrogen gas can eliminate ROS, reducing some of the negative effects of cancer treatment.
- Hydrogen gas can regulate inflammation. Inflammation can be induced by chemotherapy, and causes seriously adverse effects. Using hydrogen gas can relieve these symptoms, allowing your body to heal.
- It’s also been shown that inhaling hydrogen gas could reverse the body-weight loss that is often a factor in cancer treatment. This is because hydrogen can help to limit apoptosis – cell death. Maintaining a healthy weight is really important during cancer treatment, when your body needs stores of energy in order to repair. Hydrogen gas could help you to do this.
- Hydrogen gas can even suppress the growth of tumors. Several studies have shown that the gas has the power to prevent tumors in the lungs and liver from growing.
Why Use Hydrogen Inhalation Therapy?
Alongside the numerous benefits already described, hydrogen inhalation therapy is among one of the few natural cancer remedies. As with other natural biohacking methods, it heals and strengthens the body. It prepares the body to fight and helps with its antioxidant properties. It has also been proven to be harmless, meaning that the therapy is risk free.
Are There Any Other Benefits?
There are plenty of benefits of hydrogen inhalation, whether you are managing cancer or not.
- Anti-aging – the antioxidant properties of H2 have an anti-aging effect, defending cells from damage.
- Disease prevention – hydrogen could help to protect you from Alzheimer’s disease, Parkinson’s disease, cardiovascular disease and other conditions that can be caused by aging and damaged cells.
- Sports performance – inhaling hydrogen could help your body to recover more quickly after exercise and strengthen your muscles.
How Can I Get Started?
Here at BluVida Wellness & Med Spa, we have the state-of-the-art technology required for your hydrogen inhalation therapy journey. Start biohacking your life today, and book your hydrogen inhalation appointment.